Monday, May 16, 2011

Birthmother meeting!

We got to meet our birth mother for the first time tonight! We went to Dixie Cafe with her and the worker at Bethany who works with birth mothers. It was a wonderful meeting, and she is definitely a blessing for us! We bought her a heart necklace that had a ruby in it (July birthstone), to let her know we knew this baby would always be in her heart, and that she would always be in our hearts. I also brought a present for her son (coloring books and a crayon roll-up). We ended up talking for around 2 hours, and many stories and a few tears were shed. I think the worker was trying to wrap us up! I can't wait to go to the ultrasound next week to find out what "we" are having! She wants me to be in the delivery room with her, which is amazing, but I'm feeling sad for her because I don't think there are going to be many people there for her. I know she will have one friend there and I think that's it. I need to have something special for her...ideas? She is so amazing, because everything she says shows that she really wants this to be a special and amazing time for Nate and I, even though I know it must be difficult for her. I'm not sure how much I should share about her and her family, because I want our child to have the option to decide who he or she would like to share personal information with. Do any adoptive parents have any thoughts on that matter? Lift up a prayer of thanksgiving that everything went so well, and continue to pray that the next 2 months (and years to come!) go just as smoothly!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Mandy, I am so glad it went so well! I am busting with excitement for you both, so I can't imagine how you even hold it in! :) That was such a sweet gift to give her--I know it meant a lot to her. We will keep praying for everyone involved, and I cannot wait to meet your sweet baby!!!

Lis said...

Ditto what Rachel said. This is so wonderful! We'll be praying too. Love you guys, and love the birth mother too. :)

Anonymous said...

How about a gift certificate to a clothing store. Most new moms don't fit in their regular clothes right away. And later on you could send her a Christmas ornament each year which has something to do with your child that year.
Love you and can't wait to see my new grandchild.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I just found out the wonderful news about your new son! Adoptions are so special to me as we have the perfect grandson through an adoption plan that a birthmom made 3 years ago. Actually it was 3 years ago today the my daughter and son in law first held our boy. I think you are being super respectful and thought ful of his first mom. She will always be a part of his and your lives and thinking of her and including her in the name and how information is revealed is amazing.
Carter will be so very blessed to have you and Nathan as parents and you will see God in all that occurs in the next few days! My prayers are with you!

Carol Adams