Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ohio Wedding!

This weekend Nate and I made a quick trip to Ohio for a wedding! Nate's brother was getting married to a wonderful girl named Lauren, and Nate was obviously a groomsman in the wedding, so he kinda had to be there! I had been going back and forth about whether or not I was going to be able to go. I know...I know...it's my brother-in-law's wedding, how could I miss it?? Well this was my first year at a new school, and I had already missed more days this year then I had probably missed in all 5 of my years at WCC, due to illness (dang swine flu!) and infertility issue stuff, so I really didn't feel comfortable missing more days. (Yes that was probably an exaggeration, but I have missed a lot more days this year than I usually do!) I did have one more personal day left though, so I decided if I was able to just miss that one day then I would go. We ended up leaving Thursday afternoon after work, Nate picked me up, and we drove 6 hours and found a hotel outside of Nashville. The next day we got up early and drove the next 7 hours to get there in time for the rehearsal and dinner.

Unfortunately Eric and Lauren had planned on having an outside wedding, but with a 90% chance of rain the next day, they had to find a church at the last minute. This made for a long night because everyone was scrambling to figure out how everything was going to work. We finally got it worked out though, and the wedding turned out beautifully. My husband looked really sexy in his brown tux...I'll try to post pictures later. I wasn't able to take any pics with my camera because I was in charge of taking pics with my mother-in-law's camera since she was obviously preoccupied. Even though I had my laptop with me, she didn't have her camera cable, so I will have to get the pictures another time.

One of the biggest things this wedding did was made me appreciate the relationships my parents and my in-laws have. I won't go into a bunch of detail unless I am given permission by those involved, but both my parents and my in-laws have loving, stable relationships, and cared more about me and Nate at our wedding then they did about themselves. I don't think we always realize what a good thing we have until we see someone else forced to be in a difficult situation through no fault of their own. I'm also very disappointed in parents who think it is ok to put their own selfish interests before those of their kids. That's all I will say about that, but I am very excited for Eric and Lauren, and know they will have a wonderful life together.

I started sewing my baby room stuff! Here is a picture of the valance I finished. I'm a little disappointed that the green didn't match the walls better, but I don't think it's going to bother me enough to try to change it. I'm planning on making the bed skirt look exactly like this valance.



No adoption news, except that I did hear some reference forms have finally been received by some of the references we put down. We had to list a TON of references, including a minister (and I think our preacher or an elder), a bunch of friends who had known us a while, and our parents. Not sure how many of these have been sent out...but it's nice to know that something is still happening.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the curtain! Your baby is going to have such a cute room! I'll look forward to seeing all your stuff in person in August. I'm sorry we didn't get to see you while we were in town. What a busy hectic time it has been! We are safely in Pittsburgh now and we are looking forward to the summer. - Amber

Rachel said...

The valance looks great! I'm glad you were able to get away for a few days (even if it was a long drive!). :) Summer break will be here before you know it!