Monday, May 17, 2010

Pilates and the baby room!

Well I went to my first night of a pilates/aerobics class that Harding is offering for the summer (so apparently "pilates" isn't a word according to blogger. am I spelling it wrong?). It was wonderful! Very relaxing and I definitely got a workout. I have never done pilates before, only yoga, but pilates seems to be very similar. I did miss doing my "tree" pose, but other than that I got to do the other yoga poses I love, and did a bunch of other exercises that I can tell really worked my muscles. I am not sure what to expect from the aerobics part of the class, but I will at least try it out. I won't be able to go much anyway until school is out. Because Conway is an hour away, I barely made it in time for this class. If I become a regular though I could probably walk in late because I did notice some people do that. Hopefully I will be able to go to just about every class offered once school is out.

So I've decided to make pieces for our baby's bedroom instead of purchasing them for a variety of reasons. I was originally looking online and found a really cute bedding set I liked. It came with a crib skirt, bumpers, quilt, and sheet. After reading here though, I realized that I wouldn't be able to use half of this set because of the risk of SIDS caused from excess bedding in the crib. I didn't like the print on the set enough to make it worth only using half of it. I don't know if it's just me being paranoid, or the fact that I feel like I'm having to work REALLY hard to get a baby, but I have this fear that once we get a baby something is going to happen to it. I just don't want it to be anything we could have prevented. So...I'm planning on making my own crib skirt for the crib, along with a curtain and other cute matching decorations, purchasing coordinating sheets, and possibly using these bumpers. I'm sure all the moms out there will have opinions about the use of bumpers, so let's hear them. As far as the room goes, we've already painted the room sage green, and I'm planning on using the colors green and brown since they are very neutral. Once we know the sex of our baby I would like to add pink or blue into the mix as well...so hopefully I'm able to incorporate those colors when the time comes. I am planning on making the crib skirt and valance solid brown, with a green section at the bottom with white polka dots on it. I wanted the theme to be polka dots, but i found some really cute material that is green with a brown floral design on it, and green/brown/white stripes, and I couldn't pass them up, so now the "theme" is just green and brown.

There is no news on the adoption front, and it's getting a little discouraging because there is nothing I can do about it. I like to be in control but this entire process keeps reminding me that I don't have any control at all. Even though I know we are supposed to give everything to God and let him be in control, don't we still need to have some control over the circumstances in our lives to be able to stay sane and function? I want to have SOMETHING I can be doing to help the process along in some way, but I haven't been able to find anything I can do at this point.

Please pray I can find peace in the fact that I have no control over the most important event going on in my life right now.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I checked out the bumper, and I love it! The reason we have one is because Abby gets her legs stuck between the slats, so the one you found looks great (and safe)! I am always praying, friend, and I think you're doing a great job of controlling what you can right now. Do some shopping and prep that nursery!! :)

Amie said...

I'm excited to see how it turns out! Remember that even though you don't need the blanket right now, they make cute wall hangings until the baby is old enough for blankets in the crib-which they eventually are! :)-and crib size blankets fit toddler beds too if you end up going that route in a few years. Mollie actually used the quilt James' mom made for her for quite a while. I'm glad you found some things you love, and it sounds adorable! You're in my prayers!