Monday, June 28, 2010

5th Anniversary Trip

On the 25th Nate and I celebrated our 5th year of marriage together! It definitely doesn't feel like it's been 5 years! (It feels like it's been about 20! j/k) Anyway, for our 5th anniversary we ended up going to a Bed and Breakfast in Heber Springs, AR. We came upon this decision for a variety of reasons. I originally wanted to go northeast to Washington DC and NYC. I have never been up there (well except when my family drove through New York on our way to Maine) and I would have loved to see all the sights, as well as a musical on Broadway! But...this adoption stuff kinda messed up my great plan. The problem with adopting is you have no idea when anything is going to happen, so it is very difficult to make plans. First, it was going to be very hard for us to justify spending $1000 or more on a trip to NYC when we still don't have enough money for the adoption, and since we have no idea when we will get a baby, we don't know how many more months we will have to save. Also...Nate only has 5 vacation days left, so if he used them for this vacation and then we ended up getting a baby this year, he wouldn't be able to stay with me at all while we're waiting for interstate compact to go through. I'm already not thrilled about having to stay in a hotel room with a new baby for up to 2 weeks, but to have to do it all alone would be sad. :( All that to say...even though Heber wasn't our first choice, it was the most logical choice looking at our circumstances.

I looked online and found a cute bed and breakfast in Heber Springs called the Oak Tree Lodge. We've never stayed in a B&B before so I was excited to get to see what it's all about. As soon as Nate got off of work on Friday we went and ate at Chilis and then drove up to Heber. Once we arrived we ended up getting our choice of a few different rooms because they had had a cancellation. I really liked this room called the "Safari Room" but it had an animal skull on the wall, and I'm not too fond of animal skulls so I ended up picking the "Sandy Beach" room. Here is a pic of our Sandy Beach room.



The owners of the B&B were awesome. They had cookies set out for us, and a fridge with drinks in it that we could have, and since we were the only ones eating breakfast (another guy staying there was a fisherman so he left really early) we got to pick when we had breakfast. Amazingly enough our room had cable TV and wireless internet, which I wasn't really expecting at a B&B so we ended up watching TV for a little bit that evening, and then we went to get some ice cream before retiring for the night. Our bathroom had a whirlpool tub, so I definitely had to try that out too!

In the morning we got up, went down and ate a yummy country breakfast, and then went outside and walked around a little bit taking pictures. We had only booked our room for 1 night so after that we got packed up and checked out.

We hadn't really decided what we wanted to do the rest of the day. I wanted to go walk around the downtown shops some or go to the sandy beach at the lake, but Nate wasn't really up for swimming so we just looked at some of the shops. I'm glad we did because I found this awesome store that sells really cheap jewelry, purses, and bags. I got some necklaces for $1.25 each, and a purse for $25. After shopping we decided to go back to Searcy so we could go watch Toy Story 3. We might have stayed in Heber but their only movie theater only has one screen and it was showing Karate Kid. So we headed back to Searcy, ate lunch and went to the matinee for Toy Story 3.

All in all it was a fun trip and I enjoyed spending time with Nate. I am so thankful I've spent the last 5 years with him, and I'm looking forward to 50 more!

Here are some pics of the lodge from our trip!













2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so glad you guys were able to get away for a bit and do this together! Happy anniversary!!

Jenn said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad that the two of you got to get away for a few days! Who knows by your 6th anniversary you most likely will have you little one & have long forgotten what it was like when it was just the two of you! Love ya'll :)