Monday, June 21, 2010

Weekend Adventures

This past weekend I went down to Texas to one of my friend's weddings. On Friday I drove down to Abilene so I could have a free place to stay and could see my 3 month old nephew Jaxon. I can't believe how big he is getting! Here are some pics of me and Jax.





On Saturday I followed my parents to Austin for the wedding. We stopped for lunch at Storm's in Lampasas which is one of my dad's favorite restaurants. I remember stopping there many times growing up as we were going to visit my grandparents. I can't believe how much the area in and around Austin has changed. We got changed in the hotel, and headed to the wedding. It was a beautiful wedding, and it was wonderful getting to see my childhood church, and many of our church friends. The reception was outside, and I'm glad the wedding was at 7PM, because even at 8PM it was still hot outside! I'm so excited for Sara and her new husband and I wish them all the best in their new life together! Here is a pic of me and Sara.



Then the trip back home. It was pretty uneventful for the first half of the trip. I got stuck in some traffic, but it didn't put me too far behind. I missed the exit for the gas station I always stop at in Mt. Pleasant, so I stopped a few miles later. Unfortunately, after I got back on the road, a mile later I heard a noise under my car like something was stuck under there. I looked through my rear view mirror and saw a little piece of something land on the road behind me. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed anything in front of me on the road, so I pulled over to make sure my car was ok. Then I noticed that one of my tires was missing a piece off the outside of it. It wasn't flat yet, but if I kept on driving it would have either gone flat very quickly or blown. So...I pulled out my donut, and started changing my tire. Thankfully (or unthankfully!) I had just had a flat tire a few months ago, so I knew exactly what to do after watching the guy who helped me then. This time, I was almost finished changing the tire by the time anyone stopped. He picked up my donut to help me put it on, and commented that it felt flat. We checked it, and it only had 10 lbs of pressure out of the 60 it is supposed to have. That wasn't going to get me far. This good Samaritan helped me back my car down the embankment onto the access road. I drove back to the gas station I had just left to air up my spare. Then I drove the few miles back to Mt. Pleasant to get a new tire. Unfortunately it was 5:45 on a Sunday afternoon. The only place that was open was Walmart. I got there at 5:57, only to find out that the automotive closed at 6. I figured I would go ahead and try, and thankfully the guys there were really nice and went ahead and got me a new tire. By the time I got done it was 7PM, and I ended up staying in Mt. Pleasant because i would have been pulling into Searcy around 11 or later...and with everything I had gone through, I knew I would fall asleep trying to drive that far that late at night. So I got a hotel room, had a pretty good night's sleep, and left at 9 today to finally come home. What a crazy day!

No comments: