Friday, January 22, 2010

A confusing next step...

Well we finally heard back from the agency that our preliminary application had been accepted and it was time to set up an orientation meeting. This preliminary application was the easiest of the applications I had looked at with the exception of one thing. It didn't include any questions about what kind of baby we would accept (which we still aren't sure of) so that was nice, but I was a little worried because it included a "Statement of Faith" that both Nate and I had to complete separately. It was basically a set of 5 questions which helped the agency prove that the adoptive parents they selected would provide for the child's spiritual needs as well as physical, emotional, etc. The questions weren't necessarily hard questions but they made you think, and I felt like if I answered them "wrong" then that could keep us from being able to adopt. Not a good feeling. Luckily our answers were apparently good enough to proceed! :)

I'm a little confused about the next step. My understanding of the next step was that we would travel to Kansas/Missouri (they are located in Kansas City which is apparently in Kansas and Missouri), and attend an orientation meeting/workshop which would last part of the day on a Friday and all day Saturday. This would involve us taking off work, but I thought that was the only time we would need to do that until we were matched with a birth mother. However, when I received an email from them, the email asked what would be a good day and time for us to do this orientation meeting, and it should only last about 2 hours. I'm trying to figure out if the workshop is really only 2 hours long, if this meeting is a separate thing, and if it is a separate thing, whether or not we have to travel to Kansas/Missouri to go to it. I suppose it could just be a telephone or online thing...not sure. I sent a reply with my questions, but I'm worried my response was just more confusing. It may be time again to contact the family from our church who has gone though this agency and see if they know what this is. Pray for quick answers and a speedy process...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be very happy to welcome this special grandchild.
Love Mom

Rachel said...

Yay for the application acceptance! (Not that I'm at all surprised.) That sounds like a confusing mess... let us know if you need company/moral support for a road trip!! :)