Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day

So I was off today...a little frustrating because Conway won't take away any holidays when we are out for snow days, they just add days on to the end of the school year. But, I did get a lot done with this adoption stuff. I'm exhausted and just want to lay on the couch and watch TV, but I feel like I accomplished something. I wish the health dept had been open so we could have gotten TB tests today-that's the only other thing I really wanted to get done. Don't even get me started on TB tests, I'm just not going to stress about it until I have a reason to. However, the Health Dept closes at 4:30, so unless I can get one done in Conway somewhere, I am going to have to take off TWO half-days for one TB test (because Conway will only let you have a sub for a minimum of half a day). I hate to miss more school, especially for something that will take 2 minutes each time, but I don't know that I really have a choice. Bolded things still need to be done. Pray I get them done quickly and don't have to miss too much school.

-fill out the application for adoption including 5 references
-Get Affidavits notarized
-contact a social worker about a home study
-get fingerprinted for a criminal background check
-get child maltreatment forms notarized and submitted
-get a physical done
-get a TB test done
-Write a Letter to Birthparents
-Write an autobiography about each of our backgrounds
-Create SIX-TEN copies of a photo booklet (the book is just about completed, but I didn't know we would have to have so many copies of it!)
-Fill out a Profile of the Adoptive Family
-Read Dear Birthmother and fill out a book report on it
-Read The Open Adoption Experience and fill out a book report on it
-Read another book about adoption and fill out a book report on it
-Fill out a questionnaire about our preferred level of openness
-Fill out a profile of the child we would consider adopting
-Fill out a budget
-Get our bank to fill out a reference letter
-Fill out a financial statement
-Copy our driver's licenses, social security cards, and birth certificates
-obtain verification of employment letters which note when our employment began, current position, and salary earned
-set up and complete home study with social worker

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Girl, you are on top of things! I am SO impressed!! Can you not use the TB test results from the last time you had one done for school? If that's acceptable, the results should be on file at your school and/or at the Health Dept. Just a thought! :)

Mandy said...

Yeah, good thought Rachel, but there are 2 problems with that. First, I got it done in July, so it would only last until this July before I would have to do it again. The real problem though, is that I had a 9mm reaction the last time. For adoption, if I have any reaction at all, I have to have a chest x-ray. So we're hoping that the results are negative this time.

Trisha said...

I can't believe how much you've accomplished already! You are superwoman!

Dianna/Mom said...

Mandy,
I have a suggestion for the "other adoption" book. It's Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew.
Mom

Dianna/Mom said...

PS from Mom,
It's by Sherrie Eldridge
Mom

TrueToddlerTales said...

fwiw... I always react to the dumb TB test because I have really sensitive skin. Soooo... I take a benedryll and and ibuprofen before I go in to have it read.

Mandy said...

Thanks Mom, that sounds like a good book!